Thursday, March 19, 2009

Lucca and Il Baluardo

What can I say about Lucca? I think it was the only town with no tourists, other than ourselves of course. The concert tonight was amazing. The local choir that sang with us was called "Il Baluardo". I walked up to one of the members after the concert and asked them what Baluardo means. She told me that the Baluardo was the wall that surrounded Lucca which was created by the Etruscans in the very birth of Italian civilization. So I thought that their choir name was pretty interesting, since it's meaning related very closely to the origin of the City itself. It kind of shows how close this community is to it's music.

I hope to one day come back to Italy and stay in Lucca for a while. I heard that they have a Conservatory for music which really made me actually consider the option to one day come and study here. It is very peaceful and the nature of the place is great for people who want to come and learn about history of art and music, and to come and learn about themselves.

That all from me, I will probably be posting one more blog before we leave to come back to the States. Thanks for reading.

-Jason Whitney

1 comment:

  1. Hey UTB Master Chorale.
    Fernando Zamora here. Judging by the millions of articles coming from the Brownsville Herald, looks like you guys are having an amazing time. I'm happy for all of you. I'm glad you've visited such amazing sites (San Pietro, Assisi, Firenze, etc.), so hopefully the weather hasn't been too bad.
    Wanted to let you know that today, I wore my Assisi Tau Cross necklace (got it when I went to Assisi four years ago) and my Trinity College Dublin t-shirt (got it on our Ireland trip two years ago) in honor of you guys and the incredible things you're accomplish over there.

    Have a great rest of the week, come home safely, and starting eating your gelato before it's too late.

    Cheers,

    Fernando

    ReplyDelete